Wondering about the ins and outs of double glazing repairs? We’ve got your top 5 most frequently asked questions covered. From costs involved to the amount of time double glazing repairs take, here’s what you need to know.
Do Double Glazing Repairs Have to Be Expensive?
Contrary to popular belief, double glazing repairs don’t have to be a drain on your wallet. While the notion of repairing your double glazed windows might sound costly, it’s usually far more economical than buying new windows altogether. At Cloudy2Clear, we offer cost-effective solutions that focus on replacing only the glass panes with imperfections, avoiding the need to replace the whole window and frame.
This approach can save you over 50% compared to full window replacements from other providers. So, no, repairing your double glazing doesn’t have to be an expensive affair. It can also save you money in the long run.
How Do I Know My Double Glazing Needs Repairs?
The first signs that your double glazing needs attention are usually quite evident. They could range from drafts coming through the frame, to visible condensation between the panes. If your windows aren’t opening and closing smoothly, that’s another red flag. Finally, if you notice any chips, cracks, or fogging on your windows, it’s high time you seek professional help to keep your windows in peak condition.
Recognising the early signs that your double glazing needs repair can save you time and money in the long run. Here are some key indicators to watch out for:
- Draughts: If you’re feeling cold air coming through the frames, that’s a sure sign that your double glazing hardware needs to be professionally assessed for damage.
- Condensation Between Panes: Visible moisture between the glass panes indicates that the seals on the double glazed units have failed.
- Difficulty Operating: Windows that are hard to open, close, or lock need immediate attention.
- Foggy or Cloudy Glass: This usually means the unit’s insulating properties have deteriorated.
- Cracks or Chips: Physical damage to the glass or frame can worsen over time and compromise your home’s security.
- Increased Energy Bills: If you’ve noticed a sudden spike in your heating costs, your windows might be letting out more heat than they should.
- Strange Noises: Whistling or rattling sounds are usually signs of gaps or loose fittings around your pane or frame.
If you encounter any of these issues, it’s advisable to seek professional help as soon as possible to maintain the longevity and efficiency of your windows.
How Long Do Double Glazing Repairs Take?
The time taken to repair your double glazing can vary depending on the issue at hand. If you’re looking to replace a window, typically it can take as little as 30 minutes.
However, more complex problems may require more time for a thorough evaluation and remedy. Our aim at Cloudy2Clear is to get your windows back to their best in the shortest time possible, without compromising on quality. We do our best to carry out each repair with as minimal disruption to your home or business as possible, and our experienced engineers are great at achieving this!
Do I Need a Professional Double Glazing Fitter?
While DIY solutions might sound tempting, hiring a professional double glazing fitter brings an unmatched level of expertise and assurance that you may struggle to achieve alone. A professional can assess the quality of your windows, recommend the most cost-effective repairs, and conduct those repairs to a high standard. Moreover, using a reputable company ensures that you benefit from guarantees on the work completed.
Your double glazing is a key feature of your property, and it’s important to remember that things can go wrong if you don’t source a highly experienced provider. Here are a few of the issues that can arise with less-than-perfect double glazing repairs:
- Leaking and Water Damage: Incorrectly installed seals can lead to water seeping in, causing damage to walls and floors.
- Reduced Energy Efficiency: Poor fittings can compromise the insulating properties of your windows, leading to higher energy bills.
- Security Risks: Improperly installed or repaired windows can be easier to break into, compromising your home’s security.
- Invalid Warranty: Some warranties require professional installation and repair. DIY work could void these terms. Failing to meet building regulations due to amateur installations may even result in fines or legal actions.
- Aesthetic Issues: Shoddy work can result in uneven gaps, misaligned frames, or visibly poor quality, affecting the appearance of your home.
- Draughts and Noise: Improper installation of locks and hinges can let in cold air and noise from the outside, making your living space less comfortable.
- Glass Breakage and Mechanical Failures: Incorrectly fitted glass can create pressure points that may cause the glass to crack or shatter over time. Poorly installed locks, handles, and hinges may also fail to function correctly, requiring further repairs or replacements.
- Increased Repair Costs and a Shorter Lifespan: Low-quality materials or improper installation can result in frequent repairs and shorten the lifespan of your double glazing. Mistakes made during DIY repairs usually require more expensive professional rectification later on – due to the time, expertise, and additional materials required.
How Much Does Double Glazing Repair Cost?
The cost of double glazing repairs can vary based on the specifics of the job. To give you a ballpark figure, the average cost for a full double-glazed window from other providers ranges between £350 and £400. However, we pride ourselves on offering a more budget-friendly alternative.
For instance, replacing a full bay window might normally cost around £1300 for three frames and six windows. In comparison, Cloudy2Clear can perform the same task for approximately £599, including VAT. To sum it up, we can provide quotes that are potentially better than half the price offered by other companies.
We also offer repair services for locks, handles, and hinges, giving you a well-rounded, cost-effective solution for maintaining your double glazed windows.
Quality Double Glazing Repairs with Cloudy2Clear
For more information on how Cloudy2Clear can help you save money and efficiently repair your double glazed windows, call our team on 0800 182 2045. You can also fill out our online contact form, and we’ll get back in touch with you.